FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Most horrible experience HAMPTON - compensation?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:54 am
strickerj

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Sometimes when I mess up, I become angry with myself. And that is exactly my reaction in the situation I described above not noticing the door not closing properly.

Rather than pass the buck and blame the hotel, I checked on the door and saw that it did not automatically shut all the way, and accepted responsibility for my error. The door is a physical object; these get stuck or fail over time (doesn't matter how new or old the hotel is) for one reason or another. I didn't know it as an inexperienced business traveler but a couple years of 90% travel and you learn many lessons of the road and I suppose it was better to lose one suitcase early in my travel years it is to have this error at age 40 and lose your suitcase, your wife's suitcase, and whatever stuff you brought for your kids.

So yes I am a little bit curious here with OP playing the victim card and not accepting responsibility for not noticing the issue. Also arguing about when to use the deadbolt in the future. Seriously after this incident that should not even be brought up- always use it period no ifs ans or buts.
This is a straw man argument; no one else is suggesting the OP couldn’t have done anything to prevent the incident or is playing the victim card. But considering Hampton Inn will comp your stay for just about anything, that much isn’t an unreasonable request.