FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:28 pm
Andriyko

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
The situation seems to be resolved so a tangential remark might not cause me to have my wrists slapped by a mod.

Not sure this is true.
Complex systems have complex problems and you can only test for the issues you can foresee.
Spending more time (not cheap) on system design and testing doesn't guarantee a lack of problems in deployment i.e. 'Good'.
One of the major causes of issues is some well meaning person 'fixing' a minor issue in a deployed system to increase quality but inadvertently causing much bigger problems e.g. the NatWest cashpoint issues.
What you really need is to prioritise simpler IT over complex IT and that doesn't necessarily cost any more.

Hire fewer people but ones that know what they are doing.
Less is more.
Don't hack at it.

In reality there is business system psychosis that results in the opposite of all these things because nobody involved really cares about the system, they are all locally optimising for their own reward (either psychological or financial).
So sadly Mr Cruz is not to blame.
You will find it hard to find any individual or organisation specifically to blame.
If there is any real blame it's on human nature.
How refreshing to read a post with a sense of reason and common sense.