FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why are tickets KLM in holland 50% more expensive then in Sweden or Denmark ?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:59 am
miklcct

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by Reload
Ah, the wonderful, convoluted and nonsensical world of airline pricing! I have a flight next year to SJO in J; from AMS €2500pp, from DUS via AMS €2800pp, from ARN via AMS €1500pp.

Nope, I don't understand it either but happily do a cheap positioning flight from AMS to ARN, fly more pay less
I will be happy to do a cheap positioning flight is the difference in total mileage is similar, but I will never do a positioning flight in the opposite direction to my destination, and no one can me do a positioning flight which will eventually fly me back to the origin. Under your circumstances there is NO WAY I will position from AMS to ARN to only connect back to AMS, even if the ARN - AMS - SJO is free. Instead I will choose other routing (a cheaper non-direct flight from AMS-SVO with similar total mileage, e.g. connect via the U.K. or the eastern U.S.), or a lower class of service on the direct flight).

Originally Posted by EricVdb
Airlines also want to keep existing. If KLM offers more expensive flights from sweden than from Amsterdam, what swede would choose KLM over a direct flight?
In the end there Will be no transfer flights and KLM will only fly the few Dutch..

(And this would apply to every airline)

Besides that, it will drastically up the price or reduce the destinations smaller countries/regions have. Without a transfer flights, a direct flight will be more expensive as that is probably the only option, or there will be no options at all since the number of local passengers is too small to fill a long haul plane.
It is always possible to transfer by paying the price of two direct flights. In a free competition market, prices will eventually get down to the cost, and a transfer is always cost more than a direct flight.

Last edited by miklcct; Aug 6, 2019 at 4:14 am