FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Economy basic OLCI seat selection strategy?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:50 am
Saint4805

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Economy basic OLCI seat selection strategy?

Hi All,

I have no status with BA and often buy hand baggage only economy basic tickets which means that I am at the mercy of random seat selection (unless I choose to pay for it of course). I remember with Ryan Air that delaying OLCI until the last hour often resulted in getting row 1, an exit seat or an aisle seat during busy flights as middle seats were often allocated first to the those doing early OLCI. Does anyone know if the same applies to BA? I have tried early and late OLCI and seem to get middle seats pretty much all the time. Perhaps in BA's case it makes no difference?

I have stayed at airport hotels a couple of times where I was able to walk to the terminal 24 hours prior to departure and select my seat for free using the check in kiosks. Also, upon arrival at the airport prior to departure, check in staff have kindly offered to change my seat for free subject to availability. I have to stand in line for this which is fine if I have plenty of time.

Yes I know the simple solution is just to pay to select my seat but was curious to see if there are any alternative options.

Cheers!