FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Four Points in the world -- what are your favorites?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:49 pm
jpdx
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by escape4
If you don't mind, I will provide a different opinion about Auckland. Pullman Auckland is often cheaper than 4P, and they treat Accor Platinums well with suite upgrades, plus they have a lounge. If 4P is more expensive than a full service hotel which gives better elite perks, without having seen the 4P myself I think it disqualifies it from "best 4P in the world" although I acknowledge that the purpose of this thread is to encourage discussion without a very specific definition of what is "best" so two different opinions can be equally valid. 4P Auckland being a new property, yes I assume hardware it better but it's not like Pullman is falling apart.
We had a stay at 4P Auckland in March, and it was my worst Marriott stay all year (currently around 120 nights). Arrived around 2pm and the lobby had perhaps 50 suitcases stacked up. FD Manager checked us in, no welcome, no mention of status, just "we won't have any rooms before 5, come back after 5." Ended up in a tiny room on high floor, with admittedly good view (with the Crowne Plaza in the distance, and my SO queried -after a great stay at CP Christchurch- why aren't we staying there). Breakfast wasn't bad, but we hadn't been given vouchers, and had issues every morning. Also, I seem to recall they wanted to charge extra for lattes/cappuccino? It was a great deal on as a Cat 4 redemption vs NZD400-ish rate, but I wouldn't stay there again.

As for good 4Ps, I didn't stay at the brand frequently when I lived in the US, so was surprised to find on my recent travels that there are some great ones. My favorite is probably 4P Sydney, which treated us very well (with suite upgrade and good breakfast daily) and was spectacular value as Cat 4 redemption vs AUD400-ish rates. I also rather liked the 4Ps in Hakone and Danang, and 4P Singapore is great value.