FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to Check if ROOM is Available for Upgrade When Checking In
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:55 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kaizen7
It hard to check upgrade availability based on Bonvoy apps availability due various reasons mentioned earlier.

While I personally wish the hotel to be more transparent about inventory, unfortunately due to business reason it will be next to impossible.

I agree that hotels should do their best to accommodate upgrades for the elites as per t&c after all elites have shown loyalty to the chain by manage to reach the said tiers with set amount of spend as well (Ambassadors)

Unfortunately not all hotels do this. Some manage to accommodate elites even on their busy period, and some manage to disappoint elites during their quiet period.

Honestly speaking, I prefer Marriott reduce their promise (upgrade to the best available room including suites etc etc) and provide elites with guarantee 1 or 2 category upgrades (tier dependent)and hotel need to compensate members if they failed to fulfill the guarantee (similar to IHG Ambassador I believe)
It will be easier to manage by forcing the non compliant hotels to provide monetary compensation and also reduce the elites expectation on check in.
Please be careful what you wish for. If a one or two category upgrade is required, hotels will be very resourceful about declaring every room to be a different category.Your upgrade will be one floor higher or even one room farther from the elevators and ice machine.