FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to Check if ROOM is Available for Upgrade When Checking In
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:52 am
Toukolou

Originally Posted by geminidreams
Its been discussed many times before. Not all suites are part of the upgrade pool, not all suites under a description are part of the upgrade pool, hotels will sell inventory that may not be available and they will manage that depending on their in house criteria. Unless you can look at their inventory you do not know what is available and you dont know if the upgrades have already been allocated to other elites. What shows on the website is not useful what is the actual situation. If you need a suite book it. If you dont need it what is your complaint? You do not and never will be in a position to know the true inventory position. You can argue at the desk all you like but what are you arguing about, that the Marriott website says something and they dont agree? Its a marketing tool not an inventory management tool, dont pretend it means anything! I have been well looked after, especially the hotels that I have stayed in regularly. I know one hotel that has a renowned reluctance to upgrade but I like the hotel and even if I dont get a suite I always get a good room with a view.

​​​​

Originally Posted by kaizen7
Problem is ... hotel inventory is not transparent to the member through the apps.
Non compliant hotel will claim that the online inventory is not updated real time and or other excuses.

I can say I experience this myself, check the apps and show that junior suites and all room categories were available for the duration of my stay and yet only to have no upgrade on check in.
Asked on check in about upgrades and receive the usual our hotel is fully booked answer.
But, I'm not talking about other guests that are "more" Elite than me. I'm talking about standing in the lobby with the ability to book an upgraded room through the central Marriott booking site. Individual hotel reservation protocols with respect to upgrade pools and VIPs don't concern me, nor should they. The t&c say I'm entitled to an upgrade (however that's defined), if I can book an upgraded room in the lobby before I check in, then it ought to be given to me.

I don't understand the corporate apologists on this site. If the system is so convoluted as some of you suggest, then the onus ought to be on Marriott to make it clearer and not on me to blindly accept what I'm told. I've upheld my part of the deal in fulfilling the terms of my membership. I use my travel spend on Marriott properties. My fulfillment of the requirements for status are clear and qualifiable. The perks of this commitment ought to be equally transparent.

QUOTE=EuropeanPete;31375112]
I don’t see why the “spirit” of the rules says that rooms can’t be pre-booked for higher level elites and hotel VIP guests. It would massively devalue the programme for me, and I’m happy that most of the hotels I visit are clearly able to save a good room for me even if I’m arriving late.

Beyond that, it clearly can’t be in the spirit of rules that any room available online is available for upgrade if it isn’t actually available at all...
[/QUOTE]

Lol, I suppose as long you're receiving the perks you're entitled to, the system is working as it should. I appreciate you sharing where your perspective comes from in your responses on this site.

That being said, I'll reiterate, VIP and upgrade pool should not concern me. If I am able to book a superior room at the posted rate, that room ought to be offered to me as an upgrade.

Last edited by Toukolou; Aug 4, 2019 at 11:06 am