FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:08 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
I travelled with 1 small hand luggage size bag which I checked (but often dont) which is full and 1 other bag. The other bag cant be checked as it is soft sided (very soft sided) and has all my laptops in it. It isn't large (it can be in expands) but isn't a personal item. I have an overnight stay in the mix above and cant get any more in the other bag.
Is the "other bag" a wheelie of some sort? My suspicion is that is what they will be looking for. The fact that row 1 has no under seat storage is irrelevant here, all bags will be going overhead, they are just try to stop people bring large or multiple bags through passenger security. Hence it's needs to be a bag that could potentially go under the seat in front like a backpack or shoulder cabin bag. What no-one can say is how rigorous the enforcement will be, it is an unusual situation, however BA have successfully restricted cabin baggage on 3 separate occasions that I can recall.

Very soft sided bags isn't per se an issue, I've seen LDPE bags (bags for life type bags) go through the system, the West Africa flights have a lot of these bags on board. Laptops on the other hand wouldn't be my choice of item to have checked, even if next week there may be plenty of that going on.