FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade Question
View Single Post
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:44 pm
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milypan
Is that true? I typically book my daughter and wife, both MVP, on the same PNR when traveling as a family, and I feel like they've cleared into F before. I'm virtually certain they've made it to the upgrade list, even if they didn't end up clearing. But I don't have records.
There have been reports of MVP + MPV or MVP + non Elite on a single PNR showing waitlisted for F. I have experience with an MVP & non Elite on a companion certificate being waitlisted, the MVP did show on the upgrade list while the non Elite companion did not. Neither were upgraded. I did see one report of a MVP + MVP both being upgraded to F. It isn't policy but more likely a gate agent making sure Elites were upgraded before selling upgrades or departing with empty F seats.

Originally Posted by milypan
I've only encountered the opposite problem: a PNR with 75K + no status (my son) seems not to be eligible for upgrades once check-in opens (i.e. we don't even appear on the list) — I need U2 earlier for it to happen.
In my particular case, we were 2 75K's on a companion certificate, both on the upgrade list as #1 & #2. 4 total on the upgrade list. The agent confirmed for me that #3 was MVPG and #4 was MVP. She was more than happy to split the PNR and offer 1 F to one of us rather than skip us in favour of #3. I think it depends a lot on the agent and the waitlist compisition is a factor. A split of a PNR on a companion certificate is definitely possible.

On the other end of the scale, I had a gate agent in SFO say he would split our PNR on an F award from Asia to accommodate us. He initiated it before my request. Again #1 & #2 on the waitlist yet when we returned to the gate the lasst F seat upgrade had been "sold" to a non Elite passenger.

I always like to initiate a conversation as early as possibe with the gate agent to get a feel of how upgrades may be processed especially if I am high up on the list.

For you and your non Elite son, you are both eligible for upgrades on the strength of your status if on a companion certificate or not. Sometimes the Elite will show up on the waitlist and the non Elite will not. Both should show waitlisted for First Class on the confirmation email. If only you are on the waitlist or neither of you are, I would be calling AS to look into it and again confirm with the gate agent to see where you stand. The only difference (other than the requirements for the companion to travel with the primary traveler) between a regular PNR with a companion and a PNR with a companion using a companion certificate is that the revenue price for the companion is discounted to $99. All the elite benefits of the primary traveler, including upgrading a companion, remain intact. Splitting a PNR is more of a courtesy than a policy.

James