FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:49 am
Jamester

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Originally Posted by findark
Day-of-week flexibility is critical for ANZ flights, but they're not that hard overall to upgrade - I've used 8 GPUs over the last two years and been quite happy with the results. For example, if you could wait until Tuesday 3 December, SFO-MEL is PZ9. Friday's LAX-SYD is PN2 which is a fighting chance. There is a big capacity dump to the region at the moment so overall odds are good, but not if you jump right into peak patterns
Thanks findark, that all makes perfect sense. I forgot about the LAX and MEL possibilities, so I will look. Speaking of ANZ, in the past I have found SFO-AKL to be really hard to upgrade using GPUs (but it was probably when I was still a "lowly" Platinum, inheriting GPU from someone else). I found AKL-SFO to be much easier (since AirNZ is undoubtedly a much nicer airline). I should pay attention to the day of week, seems like.

Much appreciated again!