FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tight Connection in HKG - Denied Boarding Because Bags Misconnect
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:03 am
PTahCha
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by OhioExile
So I got the exasperated "they are not letting me board" text at T-14. She said she was there "about 10 minutes" before she texted me. Apparently they super-expedited her through security from the connecting KA flight to try to get her onboard.

Either way, that puts the likely window somewhere between T-25 and T-18. Not a great look for UA.
But she gets to fly Cathay in J *and* earning UA miles on ORC, I say it's a win-win.

Originally Posted by ani90
I must say I too was unaware not this rule. This 30 minute deadline is also not reflected on the boarding pass of several international flights I have taken so have in many occasions strolled to the gate at T-20 to avoid the crowd and standing in line to board (assuming I choose not to board early). Indeed I was on a UA flight yesterday from an international origin and the boarding ends time is 15 min before departure. Also I don't get how check in time is up to T-60 if gate closed T-30. Many international airports if you get to check in desk at T-63, it would be impossible to complete check-in, get through security and immigration and then be at the gate by T-30.

Certainly the rule exists but is likely there just to protect the airline in situations like this, where they advertently or inadvertently deny a passenger boarding, as opposed to being an operational rule. Very likely some other reason (other than being under 30 mins) exists for the denied boarding. They probably just didn't think she could make the connection and just closed the flight early.
Hence why they tell you to be at the airport 2-3 hours early to complete check-in procedures for international flights.