FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA still charging me $75 for SDC when asking for potential volunteers on my flight
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:00 pm
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by drewguy
I agree it's goofy. At some level, any airline should be willing to move a passenger to an open seat on an earlier flight for free, at least on a standby basis, instead of letting the seat go out empty, because it frees up a seat they have more time to sell or use.. But they don't, because a general policy of allowing that would mean may fliers could circumvent various limitations (whether advance purchase, or lower fares for later flights), reducing profitability. Of course, UA provides a limited exception through SDC, but they apparently have decided that leaves them with enough control.
Right, it's a balance against people who would book less expensive flights knowing they can usually SDC to a better time plus people who need to make the change and will pay $75 to do it anyway. Same reason they don't offer walk-up $1 fares on seats that are about to fly empty.