FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Washington DC Attorney General sues Marriott over "deceptive resort fees"
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:56 am
strickerj

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by pinniped
That's *only* your first presentation of rates if you search, precisely, for "New York Marriott East Side".

If you search for "New York", "NYC", "LGA", or anything else New-York-ish, you are shown a list of hotels and rates that do *not* include the resort fee. The resort fee is hidden.

But of course you know this, and you know that this is the entire purpose of these fraudulent fees.

Welcome to the thread.

EDIT: I stand corrected. I can't get the Marriott site to show me the resort fee screen first even when I type in "New York Marriott East Side". It still shows me a rate that does not exist. Perhaps a newer website behavior, because it used to skip the screen with many properties (and bogus fees purposely hidden) if you typed in an entire property name.
Don’t bother - between this and the St. Regis Aspen thread, this guy’s either trolling or he owns one of these sleazy hotels. As an aside - the $25 destination fee includes the “NYC Experience”?? What does that even mean? New York wouldn’t be right outside the hotel’s door if you didn’t pay that fee? Really, that’s borderline insulting.

And yes, the hotels are at least partially responsible for the fees being hidden on OTAs. They’re choosing to game the OTA’s search engines by advertising a lower rate with a hidden mandatory fee, and I’m sure the major players have some say with how their listings are presented with the major booking portals.