FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SAS Lounge Newark (EWR)
View Single Post
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:25 pm
BJfly

wish I had Polaris!

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Holy cow there is some misinformation flying around in this thread. The OP has a problem that is very common: *G is only allowed one guest, so his/her two children can't usually get in. Lounge access for "immediate family" in * lounges

SAS usually charges additional guests about 25US$/Person at the lounge entrance in such cases. The pass available in advance is only for SAS passengers, but SAS has no problems gouging you for entry when you are standing there in a predicament.

Lufthansa has a more complex system and cannot charge you at the entrance, but instead requires a voucher to be purchased at checkin. (Costs 35$): https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/lounge-companions

The question is if paying 50-70$ to have everyone in the same lounge is really worth it. Tough call. Last April I happened to 'enjoy' the SAS lounge in the evening waiting for my CPH flight. It was packed to the gills because SAS also has a contract with Emirates (and a few others). I was there only for 30-45mins and it wasn't very pleasant. The Lufthansa lounge was already closed and I had maximised in the Polaris lounge in C before coming to the concourse where SAS flights depart. The concourse was also packed because two Norwegian, Emirates and my SAS flight was leaving at roughly the same time.
Now I'm jealous. But seriously - can I admit one guest (*gold) and purchase one, to get 2 into SAS and then can I go into the Lufthansa lounge across the hall with my other guest? Then we are probably talking $25 to get 4 into lounges.... the math sounds better that way. But not sure it is really allowed?

I don't expect Polaris, but having been in both the SAS and the Lufthansa lounges in EWR (by myself - no family) and having sat in the gate area - well it's a no brainer that the lounges are a significant step up. And way nicer than the "closed to priority pass and outside security" Art and (don't get in when you want to) Lounge, which might as well rename itself "La Compagnie's contract lounge".

BJFly