FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Woman mistakes Preferred seat UG for biz class UG then is removed from AC flight
Old Jul 28, 2019, 5:57 pm
Badenoch
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
No, I am not saying to treat them as helpless. However, as anyone who has negotiated contracts with First Nations, or worked with them will advise, there is a way to talk to them. And yes, it requires a slight change in the typical mannerisms and methodologies of big city southern Canadians. All I can do is tell you the reality.
The lady you refer to has a facebook page like a billion other people. This doesn't make her the grand dame of social media. Again, I suggest that before judging the woman, take into account that from her small northern experience and culture, having someone bark orders or speak in a dismissive tone, as some AC employees are apt to do, is a red flag. Keep in mind, that it's her country, her destination, and it is up to us to understand and respect that and to adapt our way of communicating. Cultural arrogance often has the negative outcome of confrontation. Sadly, most Canadians still don't understand this.
I've lived in Northern Canada and grew up in a community bordered by two reserves. I went to grade school with the very last students from a residential school. I have lived with, work with, went to school with and negotiated with First Nations. A status card is not an excuse for bad behavior despite the plaintive cries of guilt-ridden whites who don't have direct experience with First Nations. We agree that it is her country. It is mine too.