FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Separate ticket flight - luggage question for KLM
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:07 am
irishguy28
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by shmom
If I have to check bags (and I would pay for it ahead of time), do you have to go outside of security to hand over bags and then go through security again? If it is that much of a hassle, I will just get a few smaller bags to begin with.
Yes, if you pay for checked luggage you would have to go landside and check them in.

However, if you're a gambling person, there is at least a chance that they will make an announcement shortly before boarding commences that the flight is busy/full, inviting passengers to gate check luggage for no extra charge. Whether and if this would happen, and whether and if they would then raise additional objections regarding the weight/dimensions (it might help to have your inbound boarding passes to hand to show them you're transiting), I can't say.

Please keep any further questions regarding this trip in this thread, rather than starting new threads each time. And, again, please report back and let us know what happens when you travel next March/August on your Rome trip!