FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Italy + Apple Pay = bliss
View Single Post
Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:22 am
PackingIt

My experience with gas stations is similar, in that most do not support contactless. I hope that changes, but I don't expect it to. Probably not worth the cost to them.

In terms of Apple Pay, I didn't have that experience, but my suggestion is to just get the card ready in advance.

EDIT: Found this online for you to try. I don't have a Touch ID phone so can't confirm, but it sounds right
  • Double-click the Home button (or open Wallet if you do not have that shortcut method enabled) > select your preferred card > place your finger on the Touch ID sensor until you see "Hold Near Reader to Pay"To enable the double-click shortcut, turn on the setting in Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay.
  • You then have 60 seconds to pay using that card by holding the top of your iPhone near the contactless reader.
  • During this time, you do not need to keep your finger on the Touch ID sensor or to place it there again.

Originally Posted by wco81
Well I'm in Italy and most of the time it works.

But I've refilled the gas 3 or 4 times and never has it ever once worked. First of all the payment system at the pumps are old and do not have contactless at all.

I just filled up today where you fill up and pay inside but they said their contactless terminal wasn't working.

One thing I notice sometimes is that they hold up those portable terminals up to your phone and while I try to select the card I want to use before authenticating FingerID, they pull away the terminal, thinking I've already authenticated it when I was swiping to select the card I wanted to use.

Last edited by PackingIt; Jul 28, 2019 at 10:28 am