FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand
Old Jul 28, 2019, 5:07 am
helvetic

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by HankAAFlyer
Hi all,

Titanium member here, researching a 5 night visit to Bangkok, looking at points redemption for the Courtyard (17,500) or the Sheraton Royal Orchid (17,500). Looks like location of the Courtyard is better, but Sheraton sounds like it'd be theoretically better than Courtyard (branding/marketing wise). Does anyone have any thoughts on the two? Priority for me would be to get a decent breakfast and lounge happy hour Access to public transit and convenience to sightseeing is important too.

Reading some threads, sounds like Courtyard might be slightly aheadn (Courtyard, you get breakfast in Momo café, and the lounge happy hour looked ok, very convenient to subway). For Sheraton Royal Orchid, sounds like a nice property, decent lounge, but not as convenient to public transit. Would appreciate any insight from anyone who's stayed at the two and can directly compare.

I've stayed at Courtyards in Hong Kong (both Sha Tin and Hong Kong Island) as well as Seoul - overall, I'm very impressed with Courtyards in Asia so sounds like I can't go wrong with the Courtyard Bangkok.

Thanks in advance!
1/ don't waste your points in BKK, cash rates are so cheap that points is never good value. Why spend 17k points when you can almost always get a room at those hotels for <$100?

2/ I would never stay at the ROS due to the location, but you're a tourist, and for that it's perfect. Most of the BKK sights are up and down the river, and very very easily accessible via the boats which stop directly by the ROS. Sukhumvit isn't much of a tourist sight unless you want to see what Soi Cowboy / Nana Plaza looks like… but at the ROS you're close enough to Patpong which has much of the same.

3/ If you listen to me about 1/, then it opens up a bunch more options of various hotels also at $100/night-ish that might be far better. I'm a big fan of the Marriott Surawongse and Le Meridien. You might also consider the SGS and Athenee