FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:50 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767

25- I can’t recall exactly when they set it up or how long it lasted, but I know AA had a “hublet” of sorts for their Caribbean services (which I do remember included long flights on ATR-72 turboprops to Barbados (BGI)) at San Juan (SJU)......

Well.....I think SJU was more than just a "hublet" for AA....it was actually quite an operation when one considers that in the summer of 2001 American and TWA (which was in the process of being merged into AA) were operating nonstop flights with mainline jet equipment from San Juan to AUA, BDL, BOS, BWI, CCS, DFW, EWR, FLL, IAD, JFK, LAX, MCO, MIA, ORD, PHL, SDQ, STL, STT, SXM and TPA. In addition, at the same time, SJU-based Executive Airlines was operating American Eagle service with ATR-42 and ATR-72 aircraft to a number of other destinations in the Caribbean region that could not support mainline jet service or simply did not have an airfield large enough for jets. American was operating Airbus A300-600R as well as Boeing 727-200, 737-800, and 757-200 service while TWA was operating B757-200 and MD-80 service into SJU during the summer of 2001.

We connected through San Juan via AA many times over the years during our various sailing adventures in the Caribbean and I miss their SJU hub as do our friends who still live in Puerto Rico. It was a sad day when American ceased hub operations at San Juan in favor of building up their Miami hub.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 28, 2019 at 7:18 am