FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC gets one right; full marks to AC staff after multiple delays AC 865 LHR-YUL
Old Jul 26, 2019, 12:39 pm
torcellano

AC gets one right; full marks to AC staff after multiple delays AC 865 LHR-YUL

Given all the bad experiences posted of late, I thought FT readers might be interested in one where AC seems to have gotten it right. I was recently scheduled to fly AC 865 LHR-YUL in PE, departing at 1405, with connection to YOW. (Direct flight has no PE.) Three times we attempted to take off, and three times the captain cut power after starting the take-off run. Captain and crew were great about keeping us well informed regarding what had gone wrong, and how they were attempting to solve the problem. After two attempts to fix things (computer issue, apparently) we were required by EU policy to deplane. By the time buses were organized to convey us to the terminal, it was 1800. AC distributed food vouchers as we deplaned, but also kept the ML lounge open (all other AC flights had departed), and even brought in fresh food. After we re-boarded. and experienced the third failed attempt, about 2030, the flight was finally cancelled. (Applause from passengers at that announcement.) Numerous AC staff were on hand to meet us as we again deplaned, re-entered the UK, and re-collected luggage. I was directed to the Hilton hotel connected to terminal 2. There, a buffet dinner was also provided at a fairly late hour. At that point I called the AC E50K line, answered after 20 minutes, and I re-booked through YYZ the next morning.

Even before cancellation I received a message from AC apologizing for the delay and providing a 30%-off code. The next day they followed up with a $500 flight credit, and further invited me to select the mandatory EU compensation of 600 Euros cash or 900 in credits. This morning I received a phone call once again apologizing, and providing me the code for the latter. Although it was clearly an equipment malfunction, and hence their responsibility, I thought that for once the response was very appropriate by all involved. Full marks for handling the situation competently and professionally. Pity that it can't always be like this.