FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First time on holiday in China.... Questions
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:09 am
Ricebucket

Originally Posted by moondog
Are you talking about the same Android that has a 90% -- and rising-- market share? The Android that is open source? If a billion people are able to use them without a hitch, I'm not sure what your gripe is. Inability to connect to Wifi? That's that's a first for me. I have had iPhones in the past, but I simply love my Huawei (bought in China). I currently have a Chinese SIM in slot 1 and a Fi SIM in slot 2. Of course I use a VPN, but the vast majority of Android users in China do not, and the world continues to turn.

I advise people to use whatever map service they are most comfortable with. I prefer Baidu because of its high level of detail, while others prefer Google, Gaode (AutonNavi), Maps.me, or even Bing. They all perform the same basic function.

Yeah, some people are predicting doomsday for the entire business model, and I've seen anecdotal evidence supporting this (e.g. people like to hide/hoard the nicest bikes in their own lobbies or behind bushes, which drives up capital costs). I do take the subway as long as I don't need to transfer, and there are some transfers I can deal with; where Mobike comes in handy (for me) is getting to/from subway stations that are 500-1500 meters away.
Moondog, you must not have read beyond my first paragraph, where I said:

"Note that the above applies only if you're on phone purchased overseas using a Chinese SIM. If you're roaming then you're not behind the GFW so this won't apply. Likewise, Android phones purchased in China have all Google references removed/fixed."

So of course your phone works. But I was replying to the OP, who I assume is not going to buy a new phone in China. All of the issues I mentioned are real issues for travelers to China, with major inconveniences. For example, the Wifi problem would cause major problems at the hotel, if the OP wants to connect to Wifi there. I assume most hotel travelers do use hotel wifi. Likewise, the fact that Google Play is installed DOES NOT change anything. You will NOT be able to connect to the store and download anything.

You're giving the OP information based on your limited experiences with a local phone that will not apply to him. If he follows your advice, he will be in for a rude awakening.

Given the OP's questions, I would assume he doesn't speak Chinese. In which case why would you recommend Baidu maps? Apple Maps is in English. That's really the best option. Your recommendation of Baidu Maps is not going to work well.

Last edited by Ricebucket; Jul 26, 2019 at 11:33 am Reason: clarification