FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Best fleet ever"
View Single Post
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:14 am
oftech

Programs: National, Hertz
Originally Posted by m907
Hertz has been touting in emails lately that they have their "Best fleet ever". I'm wondering if people here think they actually do.

In my experience their UC locations are still very YMMV. Some of them have great selections and are well-run, some of them have bad selections and disengaged employees. As for the fleet itself, they do seem to be making better cars available at on the aisle at UC locations but they still buy too many low trim cars. For example, National seems to only carry the Ford Explorer in Limited trim but it's almost always XLT trim with Hertz in my experience.

What are your anecdotal opinions of the "best fleet ever" claim?
I think you're correct with it varying by location, but the same can be said for any rental car company. This year with Hertz the cars have ranged from brand new (literally 7 miles) Charger Hemi R/Ts with the Super Track Pack in BOS all the way to 56,000 (!) mile Mercedes GLE350 at FLL. Mostly UC, although I did several T6 reservations and was always given a well-equipped Yukon XL. In the past, and even this year with National it's been the same variance, though. All the way from brand new, some plastic still on the inside Altimas to well worn Infintis and Audis.

I think the "best fleet ever" is just a marketing pitch. Just how Apple always releases the "best" iPhone every year because technically it's improved internals. Hertz can justify it the same because they have to buy new cars, and new cars will always have incremental equipment additions. Whether that's really "best" is up to you