FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA FA bitten by purported emotional support animal / ESA 22 Jul 2019
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:21 am
C17PSGR

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Segments

Many dogs trained to assist individuals with PTSD are trained service animals. They are trained to keep space open around the person to prevent close encounters that may trigger an attack. They also are trained to sense and respond to anxiety to prevent an escalation of symptoms, as well respond to events known to trigger an attack to prevent/reduce reactions.
Originally Posted by CLTUSCAPTIVE
I largely agree, with the sole exception of dogs owned by combat veterans with PTSD.
As a combat veteran (but one who doesn't have a service animal), I see a clear distinction between ESA and trained service animals. There are a couple of good charities out there that train service animals for vets. I'm not remotely concerned about on of the trained PTSD biting a neighbor. Untrained ones ... who knows

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Why?

This "problem" is largely one of the airlines' own making, in their greedy pursuit for ancillary revenues. I think the in-cabin pet fee is something like $150 each way. More than many tickets, and the dog doesn't get a seat. It also needs to stay in a carrier under the seat. Now obviously the issues in recent years with transporting pets as cargo has compounded this somewhat, but I don't think *that* many people want to travel with their 50lb dog. (Most ESAs I see are lap pets, but of course there are exceptions).

Charge no more than $25 each-way (maybe plus a refundable security deposit?), raise the bar higher for ESA clearance, and I think a lot of the problem goes away (to the extent it's really a problem -- I read a LOT more about misbehaving passengers than misbehaving dogs, but maybe that's just because there are more passengers flying).
Respectfully disagree. People see someone doing it and they decide to copy it because they want bring Fluffie on the plane and don't really care about anyone else. They also do it because they like the attention from other people. Lately I see a significant increase in large dogs -- the other day, I saw a couple each with their own large "ESA."

If you think about it, on every plane of 150 people, there is likely to be someone who is fearful of or allergic to dogs. Also, plane seating even in F is just too confined to put another 5-10 dogs on a plane.