FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First time on holiday in China.... Questions
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:38 am
Ricebucket

I have to disagree with Moondog's responses.

Originally Posted by moondog
1. All phones are okay
Android phones are going to be a mess because of the Google situation. With an Android phone, in the *best* case, you're going to be without Google Play store and can't download official apps. But your problems are likely to be more numerous. For example, you might not be able to connect to wifi because the captive portal check directs to a blocked Google page. I've heard worse stories too, for example, that the Pixel 3 will have extra high battery consumption due to it trying to Google repeatedly.

Note that the above applies only if you're on phone purchased overseas using a Chinese SIM. If you're roaming then you're not behind the GFW so this won't apply. Likewise, Android phones purchased in China have all Google references removed/fixed.

Also, see below for another reason why Apple is better.

2. Baidu maps, but Google is good if you like English; get a VPN
Apple Maps defaults to English on an iPhone with English UI, so use that. The data provider is AutoNavi, which is a pretty competitor to Baidu in the maps space. Both AutoNavi and Baidu are better than maps.me (OpenStreetMap) and Google Maps (Google no longer has an active team working on China mapping).

3. Mobike
Mobike works, but probably easier just to take subway. I'm seeing less shared bikes nowadays compared to a few years back. The industry has been shrinking.

Last edited by Ricebucket; Jul 25, 2019 at 5:52 am Reason: typo