FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA FA bitten by purported emotional support animal / ESA 22 Jul 2019
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:27 pm
C17PSGR

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Hipplewm

Now - I am extremely sorry for the FA, they shouldn't have that risk. I hope he sues for BILLIONS. That said, hopefully this is a catalyst to put an end to all this fraud. It de-legitimizes people who have highly trained dogs with an actual medical necessity. I sat next to a lovely couple with a very nice lab who is trained to alert them of a drop in blood sugar. That is amazing, but to take fluffy with you because it harms you emotionally to put fluffy in a kennel, that isn't anywhere on the same level - just drive or stay home.
I agree with you on the ongoing fraud. Personally, I think less than 5 percent of the animals in the airport are legitimate service animals. Most are simply people taking their pet with them to travel.

That being said, I'm not sure who the FA can sue for billions. The airline is simply following the government rules. The government can't be sued over its rules.

That leaves the scammer with the sham emotional support dog, who is unlikely to have billions. On the other hand, it would be nice if the FA union hired a lawyer for the FA to sue the individual. Take their deposition. Get them to admit it was a sham. Use social media to shame the owner and fellow scammers. Of course, unlikely that will happen, and every day more people realize they can take their pet with them for free when they travel.