FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AMEX increasing annual fees while minimizing rewards
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:36 pm
FT

Originally Posted by Gig103
I can't fathom spending $25000 at grocery stores, so I only imagine you are MS'ing, which is something Amex is cranky about even outside of initial sign up bonuses.
Who is your grocery spend on? For me, it's my family and specifically three kids. Long time Platinum holder. Don't see myself canceling it, but will be shifting my spend to Gold soon. For my spend, my wife and I expect to add 150k additional MR points by spending them on Gold rather than Platinum. Platinum for air only from now on. Gold for restaurants (uncapped), grocery stores (capped at $25k/yr), and all other spend that had gone to Platinum.

While I'm not the biggest fan of MR, I plan to use the points either through transferring for long haul air travel in premium class or through point conversion when booking family vacations at a 100:1 ratio. It's $1,500 per year (plus my regular spend) that I normally would have to pay and in effect goes toward yearly airfare for our yearly vacation to wherever.

I'm lifetime Bonvoy as well and have the Brilliant card to maximize my hotel points. My business expenses go on that card. So that MR transfer to hotels isn't as big of a deal for me.

Only additional wish is one of these cards has a multiplier for gas purchases, but with things going electric I don't see that being a problem for me for much longer. It's a nice to have thing for a short amount of time (for me and my family).