FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Opinions - Cathay vs Japan Airlines First Class
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:30 pm
skimthetrees

Programs: UA, AS
I am an SFO flyer. 1 BA F, 1 CX F, 3 JL F so far. I am not a drinker so the benefit of better champagne is lost on me.

BA F is forgettable. Nice seat, service and food OK but nothing to write home about.

CX F is nice. Service very good if a bit stiff sometimes. Food pretty good. Lounges in HKG really shine. Better than JL F lounge in HND for sure which has gone downhill in the last couple of years especially in their service. A solid option. Definitely better than BA.

JL F: Service Excellent! I find their bed with the soft mattress pad the most comfortable. Cabins are looking a little dated but still very nice. Food very good. HND F lounge service has been going downhill of late and the lounge food options aren't always that good. Their signature chef cooked dish my last visit was grilled chicken.

JL F is my favorite because:
1) I think they have the best onboard service by far compared to CX (and BA if we must mention them). Their FA's provide stellar service and always seem genuinely happy to do their utmost to make your journey the best it can be. They always smile and are always friendly while providing excellent service. Their attitude is contagious and I find myself smiling a lot when traveling in JL F. The one downside is that their English proficiency tends to be a little on the low side. They all speak English but some better than others.
2) I find their bed with the soft mattress pad to be the most comfortable for sleeping out of any carrier I have tried. This is huge for me.