FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Le Sirenuse, Positano, Amalfi Coast, Italy
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:44 pm
Pausanias

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Should I be worried
Quite possibly. Santorini is often cited as one of the most over-touristed places in Europe. The principal reason is the totally unregulated visits by cruise ships. I have chosen one single date in August - the 13th, which would have been Alfred Hitchcock's 120th birthday. On this day next month Santorini will have five cruise ships in port - the Costa Luminosa, Pullmantur Horizon, MSC Sinfonia, Norwegian Jade and Seabourn Odyssey. The total passenger capacity of these ships is approximately 9350. The log-jams at the foot and at the top of the cliff are legendary, as is the appalling suffering of the donkeys. This happens every day, from 8am to 8pm, from early April to late October. Even if you are in the seclusion of a hotel perched on the cliff with luxury measured by the square centimetre, I wouldn't enjoy the experience at all.

There are moves afoot to limit cruise passengers in Santorini to 5000 per day - similar schemes are being considered in Dubrovnik, Venice, Amalfi Coast, Cinque Terre and elsewhere. I doubt if things will improve. It's in our human nature to destroy everything that is beautiful and precious.

Last edited by Pausanias; Jul 22, 2019 at 12:36 am