FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Justification for Residence Inn only earning 5 points per dollar?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:26 pm
chipmaster

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by swag
It's not about the price - as you note, RI is often priced the same or more as other brands.

And it's not about the breakfast - other free breakfast brands like fairfield earn 10x.

The three 5x brands - Residence Inn, Townplace, and Element - are the ones that Marriott views in the Extended Stay category. Maybe they feel that on a weeks-long stay you'll earn plenty even at 5x. Or maybe they think extended stay folks are less motivated by points.

And they may be right. I've had two stays in my life of over two months. In both cases, I opted for RI, even knowing the points were half, because for that long a stay, having the extra space and the kitchen was pretty important to me.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I have to say that the number of points offered does not even qualify as the last item on my checklist for hotels.
I currently stay at a RI/SpringHillSuites pair, 1/2 is Residence the other half not, same price, gym is shared, breakfast menu exactly the same on two different sides of the ground floor, shared parking. I never book RI, why should I, even if they were a block apart or more. The RI kitchen regardless of size, brand appliance isn't an amenity I use so pretty much ignore the brand if any other alternative is available.