FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Justification for Residence Inn only earning 5 points per dollar?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:31 pm
chipmaster

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by swag
It's not about the price - as you note, RI is often priced the same or more as other brands.

The three 5x brands - Residence Inn, Townplace, and Element - are the ones that Marriott views in the Extended Stay category. Maybe they feel that on a weeks-long stay you'll earn plenty even at 5x. Or maybe they think extended stay folks are less motivated by points.
I can't remember do Townplace and Element have Kitchen/Kitchenette? Close to where I work they have two Residence, and as noted pricing seems to be set by location/demand ( close/high ). I'd likely choose either due to proximity even though the condition of the property and food/breakfast are less than my current further choices. The swing factor in the end was points, I stay often enough that the delta does quickly add up ( stay further, better breakfast, equal to better unit, cheaper, and a lot more points ).

At least in my case the Marriott's would get another 30-50/night from me if they matched on the points/$, instead I drive another 15-20' spend less and get more points and better breakfast and even some dinner snacks.