FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travelling the world for 6 months... My sabbatical leave experience
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:50 pm
palmanfr

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by mad_atta
That ex-Air Berlin bird seems more than a little bit tired!

I'm going to Penang for the first time in a couple of weeks, so any recommendations welcomed. Look forward to seeing your impressions of the place
Nice ! Hope you will enjoy ! I basically spent only a weekend there but I am convinced I could have filled up a couple more days of activities there ! Georgetown is known to be the street food capital of Malaysia. I was lucky to see some friends in (and from) Penang, I made during a day excursion in Vietnam several weeks before, and we went to a great place for lunch, called "Char koay teow". Nothing fancy, but very good and authentic food ! (my friend said that basically Penang is not known for fancy places... She would have known where to go fancy in Kuala Lumpur, but not in Georgetown...)
I stayed at the Areca hotel in Georgetown and it was pretty much walking distance from most of the downtown places. I would recommend this hotel as the staff was very nice, in colonial style, the price affordable, the room very clean and comfortable and the breakfast just fantastic. I spent the first day wandering around Georgetown, trying to see most of the street art (The hotel can provide you a free map with the highlights) and walk in the old town. There is also a free shuttle that goes across downtown if you don't feel like walking. The weather in december was quite hot and humid and I was glad to visit the hills the second day (using the cable car - I would highly recommend to book in advance during weekends !), the air was cooler, the views nice and I did a canopy walk which was very pleasant...
Here below are a few pictures, feel free to message me if you want more info !

Areca hotel Penang

One of the breakfast items : The pancakes !

Shaved ice. Lovely to have considering the climate !

Art Lane : Really recommend it

For sure I will !

One of the most famous street art work of the island

Taking the cable car to Penang hills

The Habitat - Canopy walk

Nice and relaxing !

Lots of food !

Pinang Peranakan Mission

I want to play with soap bubbles too !