FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fly in Business Class and upgrade your Emirates Skywards membership status to Gold
Old Jul 19, 2019, 4:56 am
Bubus78

Programs: Skywards Plat, QR privilege club Gold, Topbonus Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
1. There's no devaluation of any benefits. A few more people gaining a tier isn't a devaluation.
2. No one will "accidentally" gain Gold through this, since it requires registration
3. Most people will not reposition to MCT just in order to obtain Gold for Dhs6k on an itinerary they don't need to fly in the first place. Gold isn't worth that much, and to most people it's not worth Dhs6k
4. I also hope they honour your Plat renewal

I am not against it nor I am complaining, I m just bit surprised (maybe not) on EK doing it - actually if I was skywards Silver or Blue I would deff consider EK as my next flight carrier in order to benefit on this 'promo' even if it would cost me more $... but thats me.

Now to second point, this is a chicken and egg scenario, you can call it a 'promo' or a 'temp deal' but at the end of the day this translates into product / service 'devaluation' since the moment that the provider changes the value/price for one to obtain/achieve it. Thats the same reason why outside the aviation space, a premium brand never goes on sale or offer 'promos' specifically for that reason - devalue perception. Yes its a all about perception since as one said there are no changes on the service I get. Same reason why they wont upgrade a pax to the next class cabin just because they have free seats there...