FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lost baggage + cancellation help
View Single Post
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:14 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not in my experience - No claim that I have tried to make with an insurer has said that. With the insurance for baggage delay from AMEX , that is one where I have claimed several times directly from AMEX with no issue at all; just filled form in online , attached required evidence and had money in bank within a week
Yes, it depends on the insurer, and in this case I would call Amex and ask for their advice. In very clear cases Amex in the UK (specifically) tends to say "use your card to buy x and x, we will email you a form so we can take it off your bill". Other insurers will have their own policies, and in some cases it could quite easily be as port of last refuge. BA generally have a good reputation for refunding excess items, as it happens, so either way the Original Poster should be OK. I see no downsides to focusing on Amex first, equally no downsides to to focusing on BA first, in this specific scenario. The total amount of your claim needs to be under the airlines' maximum, which is around £1200 per person, though Amex may give you more than that.

I would claim without discussing the items you deem to be essential, so long as in your head you have a good argument - the only time I know BA refuse a claim was for a particularly outrageous piece of passenger gouging.

I'll add my welcome to mustard, I hope the flight was good apart from that. There are two other threads to look at here, the EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard, though I agree with the other FTers that it doesn't look like you have a case here and indeed United should be congratulated for doing the right thing. Also there is another thread from me explaining yesteday's baggage issues in Heathrow:
Baggage delays LHR 18 July 2019

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jul 19, 2019 at 1:19 am