FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Million Miler Doesn’t Reward Long Term Loyalty... Learn From My Mistake
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:18 pm
rbAA

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by fotographer
Just finished my morning cuppa, interesting posts from everyone, but just wondering, why do we chase status on airlines with so much passion. ( I am now, not really bothered that much)
its not like any airline will treat us like family /friends.. is it a boost for our ego's to say that we are EXP this, or DM that or lifetime gold on BA?
Does having status with hotels, car rentals, etc really make us feel better about ourselves?
anyway, just thinking
It's not about feeling better about oneself, though I did see that in one of those Up In The Air moments at a London Do many years ago, with the showing of the cards so to speak. That kind of personality disorder may lead to some of the numerous threads complaining about the lack of recognition.
On the other hand, elite status still has it's value: lounge access, priority check-in lines (every time I see those Main Cabin lines I add the minutes saved to the butcher's bill,) priority boarding to make sure your rollerboard is not ten rows behind your seat, etc. Same with Hertz, PC so I can pick what I want to drive at a reasonable price point, and hotels, Marriwood PLT so I don't have to pay for breakfast and may get some decent UPG's.
I'm sure that the OP, especially as CK, got plenty of UPG's. I've had no problem using my SWU's though I can fly the midweek, off-peak schedules and am flexible so I can check which flights might have the best chances. Complimentary UPG's as well.
As the saying goes: the rules change but the game remains the same. Pay for what you want, or roll the dice and hope to win.