FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need help flying to Rome - can't decide which flight is best from Salt Lake City
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:44 pm
altabello

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by BradLivermore
SLC-JFK-FCO

SLC-ATL-FCO

SLC-AMS-FCO

SLC-CDG-FCO

The first three routes put us in Rome about mid-day. The last one puts us there at 5:00 pm local.
I fly TATL from SLC a bunch, and think the AMS route works best as long as you get to your final destination sometime during the afternoon. That way, you can check in, shower, relax, have dinner and already be on schedule with the time change. I also like to think about alternative flights, if something should get cancelled or delayed. If the afternoon DL flight gets cancelled or delayed, there's another KLM flight leaving in the evening. Once in AMS, you should have plenty of alternative options to get to FCO. I try to avoid ATL and CDG from personal experience, and have gotten lucky at JFK - but there will be construction there next year. On the way back, I absolutely prefer to go through immigration at SLC, usually a breeze compared to ATL or JFK. That way, you won't have to re-check bags, either. I like the DL flight that gets to SLC mid day, so there's a chance for other options that still get to SLC on the same day. Enjoy Europe!