FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MSP ground stop 7/15/19
View Single Post
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:32 am
Ebes1099

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Originally Posted by shimps1
Was stuck in this yesterday, really miserable.

1411 SFO>MSP was delayed arriving due to gate being occupied from a prior delayed flight. Wife and I had a tight connection to make it to 3310, MSP>DSM. Ran as quick as we could, with my 6 months pregnant wife, from G all the way to B, only to find out 3310 was delayed 30 mins due to missed crew connection. This is roughly 10:30PM.

Two gates down, overheard the prior DSM flight, 3465, was announcing final boarding. They had been delayed due to weather, so we asked if we could sneak onto it. Got seats, boarded, sat for 20 minutes. Captain announced they were unable to fly due to not being able to come out with a route that went around the storms and kept them under max hours. De-boarded at roughly 11:15PM. Other flight had been delayed further, but DL had rebooked us onto an 9:06AM departure the next day. Got a hotel room and called it a night. Woke up at 6:30 to make the 9am flight, only to find out it had been delayed until 1:06PM. Went back to sleep.

Luckily Trip Delay Insurance will cover everything, so it's no sweat off my back really, but man it was a late night.
I would have hopped in the car and drove to Des Moines, a shade under 4 hours only. Would trip delay insurance cover that rental car? If so, even better.