FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Million Miler Doesn’t Reward Long Term Loyalty... Learn From My Mistake
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:42 am
Dave Noble
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jlsw7
In fairness, it should be remembered that until 2011 the MM scheme was opaque, at best. It was discussed on FT, but my recollection is that it was not referenced in the Aadvantage terms and conditions. From memory, it was pointed out on here that it was referred to on the Irish AA website, but nowhere else. OP hasn't said this is his situation, but it is possible that there are customers who received gold at 1MM, platinum at 2MM and accordingly expected executive platinum at another threshold. Since 2011, however, the rules have been clear.
Even if the person was not aware of having lifetime status ( though I seem to recall that a letter was sent to people to tell them that they had reached LT status ) it is still 8 years where it has been clearly defined and the OP continued to use it

My thinking would still be that the value of the FF miles and other status benefits ( such as SWUs that the OP would have received ) would be more than going elsewhere at that point to try and get LT Emerald status. I don't think that 1st class lounge access is that amazing a benefit ( and def not one to lose other benefits for )