FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively {Archive}
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:53 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's still rather perplexing that trumps the published upgrade priority rules. Something is wrong with UA's coding.
Well, while I agree that the upgrade system is probably defective, in truth, the published rules aren't well-defined. The most obvious of the gray areas is the one that the OP asked about: the priority order between people who had been on the same PNR prior to splitting.

OP suggests he should have been ahead of his wife due to having the Club card. I would argue that the benefit of having the Club card probably conveyed to everyone on the reservation, which is why OP and his wife were #1 and #2 in the first place. Considering that they were 1Ks on a W fare, it wouldn't surprise me if the "correct" order would have been OP #1 , another passenger #2 , OP's wife #3 (or later). OP's wife inherited OP's Club card status, and, then, as findark notes, the ordering of passengers after splitting the PNR appears to be nondeterministic.