FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Random" airside security check at Vienna Airport?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:21 pm
psoque

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
Secondary Security Screening Selection is extensively discussed in the following thread:
Thanks, but his boarding pass did not have the dredded "SSSS" on it.

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Yes, the US Government mandated it to be done also for OS flights from VIE-US. It’s a USG-required compliance measure the US requires of OS in this case at least. OS uses a private security contractor to do these airside secondary searches at VIE. I’ve never had it take 45 minutes — usually way, way less than that — but I also tend to be one of the last passengers to get to the gate more often than not and that can work to my advantage in saving time and with some/most of all the security contractors wanting to leave as soon as they’ve hit their time and/or list limit for the flight/bank of flights.
Thanks for your answer. Do you know why the US government is targeting this route? Also, are there other airports/airlines/routes US government is targeting? Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I don't understand why we should be asking the Austrian Airlines to perform additional security theater, especially out of Vienna, which as much better security measures than most of the US airports.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 17, 2019 at 8:53 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; Please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.