FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do You Eat at Fast Food Restaurants when Traveling?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:29 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TGarza
Agreed. There is a definite difference within the fast food category that fast casual doesn't capture. Having seen the precooked bag of Taco Bell meat, my first though was dog food. Then I worked at a dog food plant, I now know better.
I still think of it all as fast food, but I do appreciate the brands that try to do a fresher less-processed take on the concept, or generally adhere to a more pleasant, cleaner, modern ambiance.

It's hard to put a finger on it. I think of Potbelly's as a cut above Subway. It's literally the exact same ingredients, but Potbelly's presents it better and in most cases takes better care of the restaurants. Same with McAlister's.

I think of Noodles & Company as a cut above most of the rest of the fast food universe. I think that was the chain with which I first saw the "fast casual" term. Definitely a higher quality experience than, say, a Taco Bell.