FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Caribbean [again] with BA in Club World.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:05 am
T8191
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
3 Jul 19
BA2158, UVF-LGW, 1855-0815, B777, CW 10A/B

All good things must come to an end, and having confirmed our return transfer and agreed a late checkout on the 1st, it was time to go home. St Lucia Reps wanted to pick us up at 1520, which we felt left too little flexibility given the challenging roads and possible delays: they agreed to our request of 1430. Our driver, with another modest SUV, arrived punctually and we reached the airport at 1545. Time for a quick cigarette before the BA desks opened promptly at T -3 hours. Being about the first pax there, bag-drop was quick and painless, and both we and the case were tagged through to Jersey. As CW pax we were also issued out ticket for the Iyanola Lounge. Then, after a last *cough* outside, it was time to head for Departures.

Before entering, there’s a booth where they do document checks. Then, through the glass doors … facing you is Security, BUT … first look to your left where there are the 2 immigration booths, which are easily missed! Nice friendly Agent again. Then to the quite small Security set-up, where it’s shoes/belts off, electronics out and … 30 seconds later, we’re sorted and officially Airside. Shops? A cluster of assorted small booths mainly selling tourist stuff, of course … rather pricey IMHO, at USD 15 for a t-shirt. However, we did find a Duty Free tobacco outlet this time, so I collected some Marlboro Gold at USD 32/200 for which I paid cash, thus saving foreign transaction fees … USD is widely used, provided the notes are in decent condition.

So to the Lounge, the door to which is on the left just after you emerge from Security. Down the corridor and up the stairs [or lift] and there you are … much the same as last time! The food offering was certainly better than in 2015, although still firmly in the ‘light bites’ category. The Barman was friendly and efficient, and we were delighted to find the little upstairs smoking room was still operational!

Boarding was at 1815, with another leisurely walk across to Door 2L after a BP check at the Gate. All fairly normal, with a cold PDB of [probably] champagne … this time in the new glassware, and decently filled!

… and a leisurely wait whilst the rest of the aircraft got on board. Yet again, no sign of children, wheelchairs or walking sticks.

No specific Gold greeting (surprise!) but the CSD did make a lot of fuss of another pax in Row 12: it transpired he was the Chef who had created the new menus.

Now we had enjoyed typical seasonal weather for the week. Temp around 30ºC every day, a few clouds scudding across the sky, and the occasional brief sprinkle of rain. But the weather was forecast to break, and as we got airborne on time … the weather break arrived on cue. Glad we missed that!

By the time we got to altitude, things looked much better.

... and it was thus time for dinner. Do you know, I have almost ZERO recollection of what I ate or drank, but the “Caribbean-style Creole chicken” with potato au gratin and roasted pumpkin sounds familiar. Undoubtedly I finished with Cheese and Port, as I do! Of course, my camera was in the drawer by my feet, and inaccessible when the tray’s deployed, so you will just have to imagine that I enjoyed some sort of dinner [a bit],

And then IFE (“The Favourite”) followed by some zzzzzzzz … whilst My Lady failed to sleep at all, poor thing. She just can’t sleep on aircraft.

Eventually … ahh, breakfast, we must be approaching Ireland. A nice sunny view to accompany the “Warm red onion, smoked salmon and egg on a bagel”. A good option in theory, and it tasted good, but bagels need to be a lot fresher than these were. Rather dry and crusty, sadly. Oh, well, it made a change from the “Traditional English”.

And so to the wonders of London Gatwick (South). There are times when I feel we live there … we’re looking forward to a refresher at LHR in September! At c. 0830 Immigration was pleasantly uncrowded as we reached the e-passport gates, where on scanning I got the message “Please go to a desk” or something like that. What? It doesn’t work? The Border Agent was equally confused, as he said there was nothing wrong with it at all. Oh, well, at least that passed a couple of minutes of our tedious 3-hour layover before the last leg!

Routine followed … Arrivals, Kerbside, Cigarette x 2, grateful the weather was sunny and not freezing, back into the Departures system and eventually back to our ‘2nd home’, the LGW FLounge
A couple of hours passed comfortably if tediously, before Gate 14 was declared for …

4 Jul 19
BA2772, LGW-JER, 1210-1310, A319, CE 1A/C

Not a lot to say, really! Boarding was tidy and efficient, and we giggled quietly at the gentleman in 1K who felt an urgent need to be the very first on the aircraft and almost ran down the airbridge. I’m not sure we weren’t actually seated in 1A/C before he had settled! I know we had Lunch, because I remember deploying the tray tables, but I suspect we just grazed around the edges … it had been a long enough day with numerous meals of one sort or another.

And then we were home! Reclaim, Arrivals, Taxi … and another trip done. Our 3rd trip in this calendar year, but the first in the Membership year, so the 360 TPs, which arrived promptly, were welcome.

Next one is … Jet2 (LS) in Economy (that’s all they have!) direct to Leeds Bradford (LBA) for a family visit. No TPs, no Lounges (unless we pay), no free F&B … but at least we have the pair of EXIT seats. Back to the reality most people live in!

Last edited by T8191; Jul 17, 2019 at 7:28 am Reason: details