FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SEA to HKG route - smooth ride?
View Single Post
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:17 pm
Eagle2000

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Originally Posted by CanadianMoocow
While I have a private pilot license, I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer this kind of question. You will experience bumps, there's no way around that. Tropical areas during summer time can be bad and flying thru the jet stream can be bumpy. Don't forget you're going into a hurricane zone which spans pretty wide in the west Pacific. So here are some tips from a former frequent flyer: buckle up all the time! Even if you're just sitting there reading a book or watching the IFE. The stories you hear about turbulence injuries all comes from people not buckled in. Yes, Clear Air Turbulence can't be detected and if you are up and about to use the washroom, you're out of luck. It won't probably won't crash during turbulence incidents, is there a chance of being mishandled, yes, but the chances are pretty low. Look at the crashes in the last 5 years and see which operators are involved. How often you see the US big 3, CX, JAL, ANA, CI, and EVA having a major incident? Look up safety ratings online if you need a piece of mind. Finally, read the safety instructions a few times, memorize how many rows you are from the exit, ware pants and shoes (not shorts, skirts, crocs, sandals, high heels).
Three things I can never understand people do on planes:

1. Not wearing seat belts at all times
2.Wearing shorts on flights. Why you ask? If you have to slide down Emerg. exit you will get a friction burn. not pretty and hurts like hell!
3. Going to washroom barefeet, (YUCK)