FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ATL Bans Smoking, starting January 2, 2020
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:40 pm
kop84

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

Many smokers are inconsiderate. I was at a hotel restaurant on Saturday, and used the restroom. Some guy was smoking in the next stall. He then proceeded to try and flush the cigarette down the toilet 20 times.

The stupid thing was that the front entrance where you can smoke is only 100 feet away from the restaurant. I’d be for a $1000 fine and banishment from an airport.
Originally Posted by cmd320
Someone was definitely smoking in one of the DTW bathrooms last week. The whole place reeked.
Write this up as being an unintended consequence of treating smokers worse than we as a society treat dead-beat dads. As a former smoker, I'm telling you that it is a serious addiction that will override your common sense...I never smoked where I wasn't supposed to but I wasn't that heavy a smoker.

Smoking should absolutely not be allowed inside anymore. But half the time to have a "quick" smoke break its a 20 minute walk, then you need a team of sled dogs, and then you have to answer the bridge troll's three questions to get to the 2 square feet in a city block it's "ok" to smoke...I'm exaggerating but not all that much for people who work in skyscrapers.

We can get a small outdoor area at most airports where someone can smoke quick before their flight. It wouldn't be that hard or expensive. Some Cyclone fencing and a few old coffee cans will be more than enough for the smokers to not sneak one in the airport bathroom.

Yes I know people should quit. But it's perfectly ok at the airport to have a huge steak, loaded baked potato, and a huge slice of cheesecake, washed down with 3 beers and a scotch, then hop on a motorized cart to get dropped off at the gate, or maybe a quick pit stop to grab a Double Shake Shack burger for the flight complete with a Coke the size of a large movie theater popcorn. And just before you board pop a couple of Xanax to help you relax.

TLDR: give smokers a tiny outdoor area and they won't smoke inside.