FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:42 pm
chrisdeaner

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold
Just got back from a wonderful 6 night stay at the St. Regis Punta Mita and we're already planning our return trip Nothing major to add over what's been posted recently but a few highlights/tips:
  • The breakfast buffet is amazing and I'm always thankful for the Platinum/Titanium (not sure where it starts with the new Marriott structure) benefit for free breakfast. It's especially worth it here as the buffet is ~$45 USD for adults and half for kids. Don't forget to go outside for the amazing tacos (yes I had tacos for breakfast every day ) and daily Mexican breakfast specials (and waffles)
  • The hotel doesn't charge for food/drinks under 5. I never got the official word on what is/isn't included but they never charged us for a food or drink item we ordered for our 2yo, including things we split with her and our 6yo. This was the case at every restaurant and for every pool or beachside order we made.
  • Most food orders had a 10% SPG loyalty discount
  • The two employees running the kids club (Yasmin and Dennys) were amazing with our 6yo - she loved going to the activities!
  • The revised menu at the Altamira restaurant (in the lobby where check-in is handled) is very good. It's now more authentic Mexican versus Spanish tapas. The Al Pastor tacos for 2 were amazing, can't recommend them enough.
  • I'm not sure if this is an on-going thing but the Friday night evening ritual (with the champagne sabering) was followed by 2 for 1 al pastor tacos (same ones we had for dinner the night before which we were 100% ok with ) and 2 for 1 weekly and monthly special cocktails. They also did 2 for 1 champagne prior to the sabering. If you're going to eat dinner at Alta Mira on Friday night I'd recommend going before or at least 45min after the sabering (7pm) since it was very crowded and the food we ordered for our kids came out much slower due to the additional people.
  • All bars have 2 for 1 Mexican Beers, champagne and classic margaritas from 5-6pm each evening. It's advertised in very small print on the daily events flyer that gets delivered each morning but all the waitstaff were aware of it and promoted it to us.
  • The daily 2pm cooking or cocktail classes at the Sea Breeze bar were fun and informative - definitely recommend. One of our favorites was the surprise cocktail class on Friday where we learned how to make a Paloma and only wish we had known about it sooner!
  • Someone mentioned that the catch of the day ritual (I believe it was on Thursday) wasn't very good. We though it was really fun - they had a small catch with 2 snappers (one was pretty big!) and 2 jacks but they gave us an overview of both kinds of fish and the chef made an amazing ceviche and grilled versions of the Jack (served on chips) that we loved. We also ordered grilled fish tacos from the snapper that we had beachside for lunch that were awesome!
  • We had no service issues (besides the delayed food after the sabering mentioned above, which they didn't charge us for) whatsoever - everything we ordered, including room service came extremely fast and everything we ate and drank was amazing.
Not directly related to the property but if you book a car in town at the National Car Rental, don't book something for the same day. They bring cars from Puerto Vallarta up each morning depending on what reservations they have that day. We made a reservation around 10am for a 2pm pickup and they had to call to have the car brought up which took about an hour. If you do get stuck (including waiting to drop off if you go around lunchtime...) walk up the hill you drove down to get there to the taco stand at the top of the hill (right outside a little market and on the same block as the larger market). The tacos and ceviche are unreal and way less pricey than anything on the touristy block where National is.

Lastly the reason for the car rental was we went to Sayulita for the day. The driver that took me into town to pick up the rental recommended Si Senor there as he said the food is always good but they have an amazing view of the whole town and of the sunset. It's a chain and bills itself as being higher end so the prices are higher than you'd pay at some other spots (dinner for 2 adults and 2 kids with a few beers for the adults was ~$100 including the guacamole prepared tableside) but he was right, the food was excellent and the views from the little patio directly over the ocean were phenomenal. We ate early so didn't get to see the sunset but I'm sure it would be a great place to watch from. It's also away from the main beach area so much calmer and easier to enjoy the food and surroundings.

Lastly I wasn't able to find a property map online before we left. Here is the front and back of the one we were given as a reference. I'll upload it directly as a separate post.

Last edited by chrisdeaner; Jul 15, 2019 at 1:51 pm