FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Another enhancement - Goodbye water bottles
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:38 am
NZbutterfly

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by JayKiwi
It sure did.

The bottom line: Any attempt to portray this as anything but cost-cutting 'sustainability theatre' is disingenuous to the real issues of sustainability and climate change. If Air NZ were ultra-concerned about the plastic, the bottles would be replaced with an alternative, and one that may actually cost more to implement, e.g. fully degradable bottles etc. But I think we all know that there is no way that is going to happen. At the same time, it is a business that is trying to stay profitable in a tricky environment (no pun), so two sides to everything.

All said and done, water is a basic need, and if I struggle in the future to have easy (instant) access to hydration when flying, due to some bizarrro attempt to cost save, that is a bad look for an airline whose premium cabins are not cheap to fly in. However you slice it, taking in-seat water sources away will blatantly deliver you less hydrated passengers on average.
Nobody needs to dehydrate. There's a call bell. Push it and ask for water. They also do a drinks run. Ask for a drink.

Taking your own water bottle is a viable solution. You can use it in cars, at work, the gym etc Why do I get the feeling the small effort is beyond some people?