FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:08 am
jsl_313

I stayed from 7/2-7/7 but haven't had much time to write anything up until now. As far as the quality of the property (grounds, views, pools, etc) goes, this place is awesome. We spent some time at both the adults-only pool and the kids pool (not the one with the water slide). We would've spent more time at the adults-only pool if we could have, but we had other activities some mornings, which made reserving a spot impossible. The (free) chairs w/ umbrellas by the pools are just fine. The cabanas are a total ripoff that offer little more value than the chairs, IMO. They do come with food and drink vouchers, but with the resort food/drink prices and the amount they are asking for the cabana, it hardly is any consolation. Muffins/fruit or breakfast sandwiches from Island Gourmet Markets (a short walk), made for an quick easy breakfast for under $10. Per my earlier comments, we bought liquor and mixers and brought drinks down to the pool in oversized thermal mugs (makes 3-4 drinks) without any issues. We weren't getting trashed or anything, but it's easy to put down 6-8 drinks just sipping them by the pool all day, which can run up quite a bill. This was pretty effortless and a good alternative to paying $15 for a vodka-soda by the pool.

Resort fees of $38/night not including parking is kind of preposterous, but I knew that going in so I won't harp on it - plus booking the property at 5 nights for 160k Marriott prior to the increase was a steal. Our room didn't have a view (Garden view), but it was nice, clean, and modern - although we didn't really spend a ton of time there so it doesn't matter a ton to us anyway. Views of the volcanic rock and other islands out in the distance from the hotel is cool. The beach is a very short walk away as others have said - really not much further than "beachfront" resorts. We mostly dined off-resort (Maui Brewing was cool and I'd highly recommend it), but did a couple lunch orders by the pool and at the food truck. A little expensive (expected), but big servings.

This was the 2nd half of our Kauai & Maui trip, and we were pretty active while we were there (road to Hana, Haleakala summit sunrise, surfing, snorkeling, visiting local restaurants, etc.) but still spent big chunks of the day relaxing at the resort. I'd say renting snorkel gear from Snorkel Bob's is a must, even if you're planning on relaxing most of the trip. It's quick, easy, cheap, and a great experience. It ran us $15 each for a day-rental and we spent a couple hours snorkeling along the north end of Ulua Beach. The water was very clear, the fish variety was huge, and we swam up-close with a few huge turtles. This was our first time in Hawaii, so we did the Luau on at the resort one of the nights. It was cool, the food and drinks were good. But as I'm sure others have said, it's worth doing once then you can kind-of do without it. Overall it was a great points-stay, and a beautiful resort to relax at while we weren't active with other things.