FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Excessive re-fueling charge
View Single Post
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:35 am
Tom London

Angry Excessive re-fueling charge

Hi All,

I recently rented a Mustang from Miami airport for one week. As it was my first 'preferred' booking I had to visit the rental counter. The lady at the desk suggested I pre-purchase a tank of fuel so that I didn't need to fuel the car before dropping it off. I asked her about the price of doing so and was assured emphatically that the price per gallon was highly competitive with local pump prices, so I accepted.

During my rental period I had cause to fill the tank twice, on each occasion the car took approximately $30 USD of fuel, from almost empty, to full. I subsequently returned the car to the airport with approximately 1/4 tank of fuel remaining. I understand that I forfeit that quarter of tank.

I've now reviewed my rental invoice and note a "Refueling charge" of $120.88 USD. Surely that must be an error; its approximately 4 times the actual cost of filling the tank of a Mustang. This has left me feeling bitterly disappointed in Avis. Before I contact them, I wonder if anyone has been in a similar situation and if so, whether you reached a resolution.

Many thanks,
Tom