Programs: SPG Platinum
GLA
Booked CDAR (Citroen C4 or similar)
Received BMW 320d

ABZ
Booked CDAR (Citroen C4 or similar)
Received BMW 218d

other things to note from these two recent experiences:
  • Agent at GLA was very nice. Told me that as Sixt Platinum I was entitled to a one category upgrade but he decided to bump me up further.
  • On the other hand, agent at ABZ insisted that a Platinum I had no entitlement to an upgrade but only to a discount. He even showed me his computer screen which had a "not entitled to upgrade" note on it - which, to be fair, seems to reflect the Sixt website which says that you need to do 10 rentals in a year to be entitled to upgrades. He tried hard (as with the customer before me) to sell me the full insurance cover, and also offered the BMW 3 series and the Jaguar F Pace as paid upgrades, which I declined. When I asked what I'd get if I declined the pay upgrade he pointed to a Renault outside and said 'something like that', but lo and behold 2 minutes later as he taps away he then says, 'oh actually I can upgrade you to a 2 series'.
  • I did a quick walk around of the ABZ SIxt car park and most of the 'standard' cars they had were manual - the only auto I could see that wasn't a higher category was the Skoda Octavia, so I sensed my chances of a complimentary upgrade were quite good.