FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:46 pm
FlyingHighlander

Originally Posted by alanjudy
Well, I'm thinking it doesn't hurt to try to make the change. The economy ticket from Windhoek to Lusaka is around $350, so that's $700 we'd save, not insubstantial. The worse thing that could happen is the agent refuses to do it, in which case I'll either try again, or book it as 2 separate one-ways. The one I spoke with last night said it should be OK to make the change esp. since I have to call them to book anyways.

Now, British Airways waives the fee when you want to turn a one-way into a round-trip if the availability for the return is not available when you book the outbound. I wish United would do that!

Good advice on verifying with ET. I will do that!
I recently booked
May 2020 IAD-JNB-CPT (2 x 80k) one way tickets
June 2020 WDH-ADD-IAD (2 x 80k) one way tickets
In a perfect world I'd have added my CPT-WDH in the middle as an excursionist flight, but I'd absolutely have lost out on my preferred IAD-JNB-CPT flight. It disappeared after I grabbed 2 tickets. My WDH-ADD-IAD also disappeared after I bought 2 tickets. It was more important to me that I got my preferred long hauls over a free intra-Africa excursionist (I'll be paying $500ish for that).

Your priority may be different. Im just glad I took the FT advice when I asked for it way back and grabbed one ways ASAP.