FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help my mother pick an airline to be loyal to -- AA or UA?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:00 am
cmd320
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
I gather that the OP's parents are contemplating flying in a premium cabin only for their two annual trips to Milan; for their several domestic trips, they would be flying Coach.

Even low-level oneworld status would give them a free checked bag per passenger in Coach; access to Business Class check-in lines; and free Main Cabin Extra seats (34" seat pitch, free alcohol) at T-24 (if any are still available). Mid-tier oneworld status (oneworld Sapphire) would enable them to select Main Cabin Extra seats for free when purchasing the ticket; and, if the status were earned through a program other than AAdvantage, would give them access to Admirals Club lounges even when flying domestically.
Even so, if that's the case, a couple trips to Italy and a few domestic economy roundtrips are unlikely to yield the $6000 (each) in EQD needed to hit Platinum and attain Sapphire. Not sure if the flying patterns would give them enough TPs for BA Silver either.

Low-level status can basically be bought with a credit card at this point. They won't be getting upgrades on SFO-JFK (EWR) as AA GLD or UA Silver.

Even in Y I would still say B6 is the best option flying SFO-JFK. In general cheaper, and better product. I just don't see there as being any benefit to enduring AA or UA Y on transcontinental flights or either J product on intercontinental flights for a checked back or business class checkin. Much rather just get a CC with such benefits and move on. And I would still choose DL over either UA or AA at that point if they're just really in need of some kind of status. Plenty of flights from SFO-JFK and JFK-MXP is also an option (who knows how long JFK-MXP will last on AA given their current track record of dumping JFK flights).